Friday, May 1, 2009

May Day!

It's May Day! Do you remember what that means?

Yup, time to go pick flowers. Not just that, but time to pick flowers and share them with others. Anonymously.

I loved May Day as a kid (though I'm sure our poor neighbors weren't as fond of it seeing as I usually pilfered their gardens!). When I looked at the calendar a few weeks ago and realized it was almost May, then saw May 1, I grinned. I may be nudging 52, but this May Day I'm letting the kid run free. I'm going to pick flowers, put them in a paper vase, and hang them on someone's door.

Because every day deserves a touch of beauty. And the reminder that people think of us.

So here's the deal. STOP what you're doing. Stop it, right now. Ready? Okay, follow these steps:

1. Wet down 3 or 4 pieces of paper towel.
2. Take your paper towels and go outside and find some flowers. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just flowers.
3. When you have your bouquet, wrap the stems in damp paper towel.
4. Choose a house on your block, lay the flowers on the stoop, ring the doorbell, and run! Don't worry who might be watching, just let yourself be a kid again and bless someone's day.

Now, since I can't come to YOUR doors, here are a few flowers from my garden, just for you!

3 comments:

Teri Dawn Smith said...

I don't know where exactly my head's been stuck, but I've never heard of this tradition, but it sure sounds like fun!

Beautiful garden flowers!

angela said...

Did you take all those photos? Beautiful colors.

My kids are planning to leave some flowers for the neighbor girl. She's getting an adopted sister from the Phillipines next week so we're going to make sure she still feels treasured.

Hope you have a happy May Day, too!

Karen B. said...

Yup, I took 'em. Love doing so.

Hope you all have a wondrous May day!

Karen