Saturday, May 26, 2012

Let the Earth Sing!


I love dirt. Seriously. There's something about digging my hands into the dirt, whether it's to plant flowers or veggies or to wrestle weeds, that satisfies my soul. The dusky, rich smell of earth reminds me of so many wonderful things...

--planting pansies with my mom
--tending roses with my dad
--making mud pies (yes, I really did that, and no, I didn't eat them!)
--washing down the sidewalk after dad mowed the lawn
--summers playing tag football
--hiking in the woods
--spending weeks at a time at Diamond Lake, swimming, letting mud squish between my toes

Most of all, it reminds me of wonder. Of simple delights, and days spent savoring the simple fact that I was alive. Days not immersed in stress and "have to"s, but awash in exploration and discovery. I lived one day like that after another when I was a child. As an adult, those kinds of days have been fewer and farther between. But they're still there.

All I have to do is open my eyes and heart to see them.

As Spring shifts into summer, I encourage you to do exactly that. Open your eyes to the wonders God brings you each day. Let the sun on your face remind you of His embrace. Let the rains wash over you, reminding you of the blessings He's given. Let the rich smell of the earth draw you to praise and rejoicing, for the almighty, all-powerful God who created this world loves you--yes, YOU--with an unending love.

Let the Earth rejoice--and let us join in!

Peace, friends.

Karen





No comments: