Life is stressful, no getting around it. And it seems more stressful lately than ever before. Maybe it's paying close to $5 a gallon for gas (I always laugh when I see the news reports on "the national average" for the cost of gas. Oregon is always a good .20 to .25 cents more than the national average!), or it could be that people aren't getting out as much in an effort to conserve gas, or the upswing in lost jobs, or the constant barrage of political arguments...
Whatever the cause, stress seems to be the greatest malady most of us face today. Happily, I have a solution to offer you. No, not for removing all the stress, but for helping you deal with it.
Yup, that's it. Laughter. Take time to add laughter to your day. Here are a few simple suggestions for doing so:
1. Watch classic humor videos. Anything by Victor Borge, Red Skelton, or Jack Benny. I'm telling you, those things are hysterical!
2. Listen to old time radio programs such as the Bob Hope show, Abbot & Costello, or Evening with George Burns.
3. Check out some of the following videos and websites:
Abbott & Costello: Who's on First
Carol Burnett: Went with the Wind, pt. 1 & Pt. 2
Tim Conway's Elephant story
Victor Borge & Dean Martin: Music & Punctuation
4. Spend some time with small children, just listening to them talk.
5. Spend time with someone who you know has a great sense of humor and always makes you laugh.
Remember, the joy of the Lord is your strength for facing whatever comes your way. Ask Him to open your eyes to moments of joy and laughter each day, to let your heart be open to celebrating the blessings He's give us.
May you find your days steeped in His joy and the pure laughter of a child.