Sunday, November 4, 2012

Peace in the Storm


Storms rage all around us. The fury of the wind pounds against us, leaving us bruised and broken. The raging downpour strips us of shelter and security. Lightning screams across the skies, blinding us. Thunder bellows, shaking the very foundation beneath us. 


Superstorm Sandy...
vitriol about the presidential race...
devastating financial losses...
children and women brutalized through human trafficking...
wars, kidnappings, foreclosures, church burnings, broken marriages, animal abuse, murder, suicide, children lost to drugs or gangs...
                     and on and on it goes, one atrocity after another, until all we can do is bow low and weep. Join David as he wails his frustration and fear:
"O Lord, how long will you forget me? Forever? How long will you look the other way? How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul, with sorrow in my heart every day. How long will my enemy have the upper hand?  
Turn and answer me, O Lord my God! Restore the sparkle to my eyes, or I will die. Don’t let my enemies gloat, saying, `We have defeated him!' Don’t let them rejoice at my downfall."

These last few days, my heart has been torn by the scenes of suffering. By the foul and angry words disguised as political opinion. By the rage that seems to have taken over our country. I've closed my eyes, and cried out to God, "Where is peace in the face of all of such a world? Of such suffering? Where is peace in the storm?" 


He answered me, but before I tell you what He said, I want to know: 

What do you say? 

Where do you find peace in the storm? 

No comments: