Monday, October 15, 2012

The Genesis of Understanding


I love the Bible. Reading it delights. Enriches. Refreshes. I've read it for most of my life. I know the stories front and back. And yet, I realized a month or so ago that it's been ages since I read it front to back. You know, beginning to end. Genesis to Revelation. So I started over.

Genesis 1.

As I read again these stories I've known since childhood--Adam and Eve, Abram and Sarai, Lot, Noah,  Jacob, Joseph, and on and on--I found myself getting lost in them as though they were new. Finding nuggets of truth I'd missed before. This amazed me, considering the fact that I'm 55 and have, as I said, read the Bible over and over. I asked God how this could be. How could there be something new in there, something I hadn't seen before?

I swear I heard Him chuckle.

And then it hit me.

The Word of God is living and overflowing with His Spirit, His love, His TRUTH. Each time we read it that very Spirit opens our eyes and heart to what we need to see and understand for today. Just as God's mercies are new every day, so His truths bring us new awarenesses, new understanding, new blessings.

Though I've read these words before, they are new each time I read them. For the truths they hold are endless and timeless. And exactly what I need.

I can't wait to see what tomorrow--and its reading--holds. 

No comments: