Friday, October 19, 2012

Excitement in the Air




I can feel it. The shimmering, escalating excitement of writers gathering.

I'm in San Diego, and today is the start of the writers conference held by the San Diego Christian Writers' Guild. The weather is typical San Diego--beautiful. There's a gentle breeze stirring the palm trees towering overhead. I can almost smell the ocean breeze drifting through. But that's not what gets my pulse jumping. No, what has me as jazzed as a half-dozen mochas with an extra shot is this:

Words.

Wonderful, beautiful, well crafted words.

And they're all around me right now. I'm telling you, there's just nothing like a room full of people devoted to words and story telling, be it fiction or nonfiction. You can almost feel the sparks of creativity all around. You can see the delight in the smiles, hear it in the laughter. And you can hear, in the air around you, the beauty of words well chosen. These are wordsmiths, caught up in discussions on such wondrous things as:

Semicolons--do they have a place in fiction?
Characters--they won't do what I tell them!
Writing your passion--how do I keep the well of creativity full?
Voice--how do I find my true voice as a writer?

I feel like I'm in Webster's version of Disneyland! It's grand. And uplifting. And energizing. Because there's a unified purpose that brings us together, one that goes beyond refining the craft of writing. We're here not just to learn how to use words well, but to learn how to use them well so that we can let our readers meet and know and experience God. And that, my friends, is the greatest joy of all.

Words leading to
Truth leading to
God.

It doesn't get any better than that!

Peace to you.




No comments: