Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Joy of Daily Bread



A couple I know and love has asked me to fast and pray, seeking God's help for them to find jobs. As with so many today, both are now unemployed. Don and I faced something similar at the beginning of 2011--first I lost my job, then he lost his. By God's grace, Don found another job and I've been able to build my business as an editor, writer, speaker, and literary agent. We're not making anywhere near what we were making a year ago, but we're doing okay. Again, by God's grace. Because I'll tell you, sometimes I have no clue how we're going to make it. But now, a little over a year later, I'm starting to see that it's not about knowing, but trusting. In God and His provision. Don and I are learning to do our part, to do what we can, to work hard, but we're also learning not to give in to fear when things seem bad. As the prayer of prayers says, we trust him to "give us THIS DAY our DAILY bread." We don't look for a storehouse of bread. We don't ask for enough to stockpile. Because when we had more than we needed, guess what we trusted in? Yup, the stockpile. Now? 


Now we trust the Giver of all things. And when we receive the daily bread, we know it's enough. and each time we learn that lesson anew, I'm reminded that no matter what circumstances tell us, there is an eternal truth at work here: God is sufficient. And that makes the daily bread sweet, indeed.


So that's what I'm praying for my friends, that God's sufficiency will make itself known in their hearts and minds. That He will cloak them with His peace and confidence, and that He will meet them where they're at. That He'll meet their needs. I'm praying God's best for them, and I'm praying for sweet, sufficient daily bread. 


And while I'm at it, I'll pray that for you, too .


Peace, friends. 


Karen



4 comments:

Kathleen Y'Barbo-Turner said...

Oh Karen! You're speaking my heart here--and my life. God is so very faithful and He loves to show Himself in such amazing and surprising ways. I can't wait to see what He does next!!

Unknown said...

Wow, Karen. Timely words. Thank you for sharing.

Nicole said...

Yes. Yes.

Anne Baxter Campbell said...

That is sooooo true. You can cross out those extra o's and it will still be true. He is sufficient in all things--bread, grace, forgiveness, love, patience. I'm amazed He didn't use it all up on me, but He still has enough left for you, too. Ain't it just amazing?