Sunday, May 10, 2009

Here's to Moms!

Offered for your enjoyment, moms! First the sweet, then the silly, and--last but not least--my all-time favorite quote about mothers.

The Sweet
  • “My mother had a slender, small body, but a large heart--a heart so large that everybody's joys found welcome in it, and hospitable accommodation.” Mark Twain
  • “Only God Himself fully appreciates the influence of a Christian mother in the molding of character in her children.” Billy Graham
  • “All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother.” Abraham Lincoln
  • “I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.”Abraham Lincoln
  • She who rears successfully a family of healthy, beautiful sons and daughters whose immortal souls will be exerting an influence throughout the ages…deserves the highest honor that man can give.” David McKay
  • “The real religion of the world comes…from mothers most of all, who carry the key of our souls in their bosoms.” Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • “My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother.” George Washington
  • “There never was a woman like her. She was gentle as a dove and brave as a lioness.” Andrew Jackson
  • “A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.” Washington Irving
  • “The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom.” Henry Ward Beecher
  • “I cannot tell you how much I owe to the solemn word of my good mother.” Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • “The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness.” Honore De Balzac
  • “A mother's arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them.” Victor Hugo
The Silly
  • “I want my children to have all the things I couldn't afford. Then I want to move in with them.” Phyllis Diller
  • “An ounce of mother is worth a ton of priest.” Spanish proverb
  • “There never was a child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him asleep.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • “Working mothers are guinea pigs in a scientific experiment to show that sleep is not necessary to human life.” Author Unknown
  • “My mother's menu consisted of two choices: Take it or leave it.” Buddy Hackett
  • “Spend at least one Mother's Day with your respective mothers before you decide on marriage. If a man gives his mother a gift certificate for a flu shot, dump him.” Erma Bombeck

And my all-time favorite quote about mothers?
“Mothers of teenagers know why animals eat their young.”
Author Unknown

Happy Mother's Day!

Karen

1 comment:

Teri Dawn Smith said...

Thanks for sharing, Karen. Those are both touching and funny.