Monday, May 26, 2008

Tips for Your Writing


In my browsing time on the internet (more about that in a second) I came across the following site: Daily Writing Tips.

Looks like some helpful and interesting tips here, so thought I'd share it with you all.

Now, back to browsing the internet. Since deciding to alternate the focus on my blog (see the blog entry for May 8), I've been taking more time to browse the internet looking for material or news on my 5 areas of focus. In the process, I've discovered some fascinating things. Okay, some disturbing or idiotic things, too, but the majority have been fascinating. Which led me to my iGoogle page, where I set it up to receive certain news, blogs, and other tidbits daily. Why do this? And more to the point, why should you care?

Because, as writers, we need to stay in touch with what's going on. In the world, in our country, in our communities, and with our own personal world of influence. And the internet is a great way to accomplish most of that. Are you writing historicals? If you use Google, set up Google Alerts to let you know when any articles, blogs, or news items about your time period show up. I have my alerts set to a number of topics, including Christian fiction. And you'd be amazed at the attitudes and thoughts people post every day on Christian fiction. Some are encouraging; some...not so much. But it helps me stay in touch with what readers and writers are thinking and saying.

To help you get started, if you're so inclined, here are some sites to check out:

Online Research Guidance
The Best Online Research Apps You've Never Heard Of
Research and Reference Tools
Zotero

So take a little time to find out what tools are available to you in your work as a writer.

Peace, friends!

Karen

No comments: