Thursday, March 6, 2008

California, Here I Come!


In case you wondered, the mini-workshops aren't done. But I've been immersed in getting ready for the Mount Hermon Christian Writers' Conference next week. My editor, Julee Schwarzburg (pictured at right), will be here Saturday, and then she and I will hit the road early Sunday morning. I can't wait. Julee has been one of my closest friends for lo these 20+ years, and we love going on road trips together. So I'm getting my workshop materials printed and ready, packing my suitcases, loading my CD folders with just the right traveling music (we love Bruce Willis's Bruno album), and basically going in frantic circles doing all of that and keeping up with work.

I'll check in during the conference to let you know how things are going. It's going to be loads of fun since not only will my editing compatriots be there, but a number of my B&H authors. This will be my 10th year at Mount Hermon, and I'll keep going as long as they want me. It is, in my opinion, the best writers' conference out there. Yes, there are others that are very good, but Mount Hermon is the best from the standpoint of workshops, faculty & staff, and location. I mean, you can't beat the Redwoods!

But you know the best thing about going to a writers' conference? You're surrounded by people as crazy as you are! These folks don't blink an eye when you tell them your characters kept you up all night arguing with you about where the story is going. And they're right with you when you bemoan the unpredictability of what will and won't sell. What's more, not one will roll his or her eyes when you jump into a lively debate about when to use semicolons.

So here's to the total package: a road trip with a good friend and spending time with people of like minds and insanity.

Peace!

Karen

1 comment:

Rel said...

Hope you had fun! I'm loving those B&H authors, too!