Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Christian Vampires?


Now, lest you think I've gone (pardon the pun) batty, let me explain the subject of this post. I've been following a discussion among some published novelists regarding whether or not a vampire novel could work in the Christian market. I'm especially interested in this discussion because I've been intrigued with the whole vampire myth for a long time. Not, mind you, that I'm into horror. Quite the opposite. Can't stand it. But for all that I avoid horror like the plague it is, I've always been drawn to vampire stories. I wondered for a lot of years why that was. Then, one day, something occurred to me.

What, in the vampire myth, is the source of eternal life and endless power?

Blood.

Especially innocent blood.

How's that for taking the crux of our Christian faith and warping it? And that, at least for me, explains why the vampire thing holds such appeal. Why it's so seductive. Because there's a hint of truth in it (eternal life comes from the blood), but it takes that truth and twists it so that it's about personal power rather than the power of Christ on the cross. It's about stealing blood to serve self, rather than laying down your life for others. It's the deceiver in the garden whispering in Eve's ear: "Didn't God say?...But you shall not surely die..." The hint of truth draws us in just enough for the lie to deceive and imprison.

All of which makes me even more certain it's time for a vampire novel from a Christian perspective. What better way to break down the deception? Let's take the enemy's story and use it to tell the truth. And, actually, we're doing just that in my day job at B&H Publishing Group. We've acquired a supernatural thriller, a vampire novel of sorts, from award-winning novelist John Olson. It's titled Shade, and it will hit the stores later this year. And, imho, it's gonna ROCK! John is a marvelous writer and this story is simply awesome. As you can imagine, I'm delighted.

Not just because we have a wonderful novel in our line, but because we're doing what I believe we all need to be doing. Taking the power of story back from the enemy. Admit it. He's inspired some pretty amazing stories, dark and depressing tales that show the draw and impact of evil. Stories that leave readers or watchers chilled and frightened. Hopeless. Haunted. Well, he's had story long enough. It's time for us to take the reins and show the world what powerful, TRUTHFUL stories are about. To stop being afraid of what people will think and just write the stories God gives us. When we do that, when we take hold of this wonderful tool God's given us and use it with all our heart, soul, and mind, then oh! What stories will pour forth.

Don't know about you, but I can't wait!

Karen

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate vampire stories, but I like your take on these frightening kind of stories, Karen. The dark spirits have had a hey day long enough. It's time to spill God's Spirit, and his meaning about blood, into the market. Go for it! Leave the reader with a brand new twist.

Max

Anonymous said...

Whoo-eee. That is exciting. Not about the vampire story, per se. I've never been drawn to them. But to take back the power of story from the enemy. YES! Such a powerful tool. We should not let it fall from our arsenal. Great news, Karen.

Mary Kay

Rel said...

Can't wait Karen :) I have just had the pleasure of reading an ARC of John's Fossil Hunter so can't wait to see what he does in Shade :)

Merrie Destefano said...

Karen,
I'm eagerly awaiting John's book, "Shade." Can't wait to read it!

I've heard whispers, but that's all. Very quiet. Shhh.

Scary book, TK.

:)
Merrie Destefano

Kelli Standish said...

Karen,
Have you seen this article on Anne Rice?

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1716849,00.html?cnn=yes

She's wrestling with how to write about her famous vampire, Lestat, not that she's become a Christian.

Thought you'd find her vision interesting....

Kelli

Rel said...

Just finished Shade! My brain is still processing - LOL!!