Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Attention to Details



What do you picture when I write the word, lamp stand? Probably something utilitarian, that supports light of some sort. Me, too. At least, that was what I used to picture. Until I hit the description in Exodus 25 of the lampstand God had the Israelites make.

Now there's some serious attention to detail.

The stand and all its decorations were made of one piece. The base, center stem, lamp cups, buds, and petals. Yeah, you read that right. Buds and petals. Six branches were to extend from the center stem, and each had three lamp cups shaped like almond blossoms, complete with buds and petals. An almond bud was to rest beneath each pair of branches. And as if that wasn't enough, they were to be made of pure, hammered gold. Seventy-five pounds of it!

That detail was nothing compared to the detail on the Ark of the Covenant.

As I read all this, I was amazed at God's eye not only for detail, but for beauty. For the pure creative joy He seemed to find in crafting these things, which must have been stunning when they were finished. Every detail spelled out so that the craftsmen could create a masterpiece.

Two thoughts came to me after I read this section. First, wow! Would I ever love to see these! And then, if God poured so much of Himself into the details of these items, imagine how much more of His creative joy and spirit He pours into us and our lives!

Double wow.

No matter what today holds, the Master Craftsman has me in His hands.

It doesn't get more amazing than that.



No comments: